Friday, December 30, 2011

A NEW YEAR

"Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before."  (Philippians 3:13)

The year is like a journal.  The page is white to begin with.  At times I will write and then have to mark something out.  It is then that I start over.  But not so with each day.  When the day is gone we can't go back. 
Get a journal and let's begin!!
There are a few things I want to write in my journal this year.  First, I want the will of God done each day.
Sometimes it isn't easy to know His will so that means I will have to spend more time in the Word and Prayer to get the will of God.  This I want to do.
Next, I want to be more compassionate and thoughtful of others.  I want to make a difference in someone's life.  Do you know that just a "Thinking of you" card might make a difference in someone's life?    It is not a great big difference so that others will notice.  It is all the little differences that will add up at the end of the year.  
I want to write encouraging words down.  As I have grown older I realize that young people need to be encouraged.  Pastors need encouragement.  The Saints need encouragement from each other. A blogger friend might need encouraged.  Let's be an encourager!

I want to write pleasant thoughts.  Positive thoughts!  I don't want to dwell on negativity.  I don't want to dwell on self.  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight."
If we would pray that prayer each day we might  find ourselves saying less.  I want to watch my heart and my mouth.

I want to be a peace maker.
  Sometimes being a peace maker is not easy.  Especially when it comes to family.  But if giving up something to keep peace in the family, then keep peace!  It is worth all the effort.  The lord will make up the difference.   This is just a few things that I want to do in 2012.

            I have always like this poem.  It has such a good meaning.

THE BRIDGE BUILDER

"An old man going a lone highway,
Came at the evening, cold and gray.
To the chasm vast and deep and wide,
Through which was flowing a raging tide.

The old man crossed in the twilight dim:
The sullen stream had no fears for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side,
 And built a bridge to span the tide.

'Old man' said a fellow-pilgrim near;
'You are wasting your strength building here;
Your journey will end with the closing day;
You never again will pass this way.

You've crossed the chasm deep and wide,
Why build this bridge at eventide?'

The builder lifted his old gray head.
'Good friend, in the path I have come,' he said,
There followeth after me today;

A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This chasm which has been as naught to me,
To the fair-haired youth may a pitfall  be;
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him."

Now that I am older and have crossed many bridges that someone built for me ~ I realize how important it is to be a bridge builder for the younger generation.  This I want to do.   I may not accomplish everything I set out to do in 2012 ~ but we need a journal to write some plans.  At the end of the year I want my journal to be pleasing to God. What will  you put in your journal?  At the end of each day, let's look back over our journal and take inventory.  Whether our journals are written on the fly leaf of your mind, or written down on paper ~ let's just take a peek at it.  Tomorrow is another day!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post. Happy New Year!!!

Anonymous said...

I burned a number of bridges before I knew I might one day want to re-cross them. Like you, I'm older and realize how important it is to be a bridge builder for the younger generation and how important the people are who built bridges for me.
I want to begin a journal this year too. I'm not sure what I'll put into it, but I know it will be good to write it and to go back and see how the Lord has moved and worked in my year.
I am so blessed by you and your beautiful writings here Aliene. Thank you for your friendship and for serving Jesus with all your heart.
Love and blessings,
Deb

Aritha V. said...

What a intense post. Thank you. I print it out because I think some of you are good goals for me. I wish you a happy New Year's Eve and a Happy New Year. Jesus holds your future in His hands.

Honeycombs said...

Thanks for sharing this one Aliene I too would like to do and be all of those things for our Lord.

Ems Makuthi said...

And I love to learn from those who have gone before! Thanks great reading. Please keep reaching out to young Mums like us...we are trying to navigate through life and advice here and there does go a long way!

Anita said...

Wonderful post, Aliene. So much wisdom in your words. It is so important to encourage others. I also want to be a peacemaker. My daughter and I were just having a conversation about people/relatives/friends who push our buttons and I told her that it is more important to hold one's tongue and keep the peace, instead of having the last word.
Blessings to you and your family in this New Year!
Anita