Tuesday, December 21, 2010

COUNSELLOR

"And He shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor."  Isaiah 9:6  
One of the offices of our Lord is that of  Counsellor.  I read this and thought as I travel through this Christian journey how often I have needed a Counsellor.   I have needed someone to show me what to do and which way to go.  I have come to cross roads several times in my life and had no idea whether to turn right or left.  Or just keep going straight ahead.  I needed advice.  I needed some Counselling.  The right kind of  advice is what we need.  We are often tempted to confine in a good friend.  It is good to have someone we can talk things over with but we need to remember that they are human.  They may give the wrong advice, although they meant well.

We are blessed to have a good Pastor to go to with a problem.  I will have to admit that in the past  we have gone to our pastor with a certain problem.  He helped us pray about the situation at hand and is there for us.  But we can't run to our pastor every time a problem arises in our life.  Poor fellow!  How heavy his load would be if all the members ran to him?  I am not saying you should not talk to your pastor.  If the time ever comes that I need to talk to him again, I will. 

Our  Counsellor in this Scripture is very near.  We can come to Him and say, "Lord, I seem to be in the dark.  I don't know which way to go.  I don't know how to act in this circumstance I am in. Show me the way and help me to walk in that way."    

George Mueller  said:  You need never take a step in the dark.  If you do, you are sure to make mistake. Wait!  Wait until you have the light.  Remind the Lord Jesus that He is Counsellor to the Church of God.  He will be, in your particular case,  Counsellor, and Guide, and you will find that waiting is not in vain, and that the Lord will prove Himself a Counsellor both wise and good.

Aren't you glad we have One to go to that can help us solve every problem.  There seem to be a lot of problems as we celebrate the birth of our Lord.  I know of  four just this week that have lost their jobs. They
don't know what they are going to do.  I would say to those ~ Just celebrate Him, just praise Him during this time and see how this all works out.  Our Counselllor and Guide will  make a way. 

We have been passing out Christmas baskets to the needy at church.  Children ride the buses that come from homes that are really in need.  I have tried to look around me and see how I can lift someone's load.  Just be a friend and pray for them.  You don't know what a phone call will mean to some.  It  may mean a little of your time but it will be well spent.  Spread some Christmas cheer.  You will never know what it will mean to someone. 
                              

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Aliene! May the Lord fill you and your family and your home and church to overflowing as you celebrate what He's done for us.
Christmas hugs and blessings,
Deb

Jean Tuthill said...

Thanks for stopping by and your sweet comment. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

Barbara said...

Merry Christmas my dear friend, we are about ready for another wonderful devotional at BB too, I love you dear friend, and hope your Christmas is filled with blessings dear one.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yes, Our Counselllor and Guide WILL make a way. Blessings to you and wishing you a very merry Christmas,
Lyn

Pamela said...

Love to hear of others who are lifting the loads of those around them. I call it "sheltering."