Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Strength for Today

Today is a brand new day that the Lord has given us to serve Him.  Each and every day we need to realize that we cannot go in our own strength.  Our strength is small when the enemy strikes.  We can be assured that he is in the business and he will strike in our weak  areas. That is why it is so important to began the day with the Lord

I love to read the Psalms.  Seems you can find about what you need for the day.  Psalm 73: 26 "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever."
For the Psalmist it seemed that both his heart and his flesh had failed him.  He had seen the prosperity of the wicked  while it seemed that he had been chastened every day.  Isn't that what the devil would like for the saints of God to believe?  

How many times has Satan whispered,"If you wouldn't give to that church you could have more.?"  More of what?  Heartaches, sorrows, regrets down the road.  We aren't giving to that church, we are giving to the Lord.  First of all we don't even start giving until we put 10% of our finances in.  That belongs to God.
Anything above that is giving.  It's a privilege to give to Faith Promise for Missions and whatever other needs may present themselves.  God blesses when we give with a cheerful heart. 

God blesses when we gather to worship Him.  Most churches have no mid week service anymore.  How many times does the tempter whisper in your ear, "It won't hurt to miss one service?"  I feel I need that service in the middle of the week.  The Lord gives strength for the rest of the week.  Do we still have problems?  Yes, but we can go in the strength of the Lord.

Do you know when the Psalmist found answers to some of the things that the enemy was trying to get him into?  In the Sanctuary!   In the same Psalm verse 16-17 "When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me; Until I went into the sanctuary of God."   When everything and everyone  had failed him and it seem that injustice was prevailing, he found God to be his unfailing Helper. 

But God is the strength of my heart.  I'm glad we have a God that can cheer and strengthen us.  I want no other.

THY STRENGTH AND MY DAY

Give me Thy strength for my day, Lord,
That wheresoe'er I go,
There shall no danger daunt me,
And I shall fear no foe;
So shall no task o"ercome me,
So shall no trial fret,
So shall I walk unwearied
The path my feet are set;
So shall I find no burden
Greater than I can bear,
So shall I have a courage
Equal to all my care;
So shall no grief o"erwhelm me,
So shall no wave o"erflow;
Give me Thy strength for my day, Lord,
Cover my weakness so.
-Annie Johnson Flint

9 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Dearest Aliene, What a timely post because in this uncertain world with all the pressures facing us, we can be certain that we have a Sovereign God on the throne and He will not forsake us. Thank you for this Word today.
Hugs, Noreen

Saleslady371 said...

You make some great points, Aliene. It is the trick of the devil to get us thinking the evil ones prosper while we are focusing on obeying God. God's Word is so true and He is forever faithful! Thank you for stopping by today!

Anonymous said...

Very Good post! His strength is perfect! I can think of no better way of starting the day off then in the word of God and prayer.

Barbara said...

oh amen aliene, what wonderful words you have penned here, and never truer words spoken, God will get his fair share one way or another, I think as young christians we all learn that the hard way, praise God his ways are always right. Hugs

The Preacher's Wife said...

Aliene, thanks so much for stopping by my blog. You left a very sweet note. I'm finding there are some very wonderful, inspiring women who blog. I'll be back.

Dee said...

It is so good to visit your lovely and inspiring blog...I always feel lifted up by your spiritual insight. Today with all the ugliness and chaos in the news, this post helps one to refocus on the one who is in charge. Blessings. Dee

Farming On Faith said...

I am here at the Airport waiting to board. I so enjoyed reading your devotion this morning. Have a great day~I am off to eat lunch with my grandbaby in Washington!
Blessings~
Carrie

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

God is our strength. He is our support. Thanks for this beautiful devotion.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

thanks Ilene...this really encouraged me.