Saturday, February 28, 2009

Here it is Saturday Morning. Where did the week go? Mostly I was lying around this week. My sciatic nerve was inflamed and causing a lot of pain. I went to the Chiropractor twice this week and also had therapy. The pain is much better.
We had a supper with those that had read their Bible through for the year 2008. I amazed that so few read their Bible ~ well, at least don't read it through! It's not like we have a handful at church. On Sundays we run close to 300. This was an incentive to get people reading the Bible.
I'm sure others read here and there, but have never read it through.
The supper was not a reward for reading the Bible but just a fellowship for those who do. Compared to the size of the church ~ the number was very small that read their Bible through.
2Timothy 2: 15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing tha word of truth."
Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
In Ephesians 6:17 "And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. " The Word is part of the Christians armor.
The devil does not want us to pray. That is on our list of priorities. We eat breakfast and then have our devotions. We try to read with a open heart so God can speak to us through the Word. Sometimes praying is not the easiest thing there is to do. But pray, we must.
So often we come with all our burdens. The Lord does want us to bring our burdens to Him ~but~ we should try thanking Him first for all His blessings, it is much easier to bring our budens to Him. Even in our darkest hour we can find something to praise the Lord for.
I find that family devotion is not enough for me. I need that time alone with the Lord. I like to meditate and study and enjoy the presense of the Lord. I want that comfort that can only be found in Him.
Sometimes I read and have to stop and start again. Why? Because my mind is on a dozen and one things I need to do that I probably wouldn't get done anyway.
We need to prepare ourselves for a sweet time of fellowship with the Lord.
I know I'm nuts sometimes ~but~ I have even moved over and made a place for the Lord and just tell Him I want Him to sit right next to me.
It's like I can just lean on His breast and tell Him that I love Him. Then tell Him all my cares, my disappointments or whatever is on my heart.
I have taken the certain Psalms and actually prayed David's prayers.
Whatever way you can find to communicate with Him ~ that is what you need to do.
I keep a devotion book and a prayer journal handy. But the main thing I keep handy is The Word of God. I know we have a list to follow each day with our Bible Club, but I find I have to find different ways . I like to dig into a certain subject and just learn.
A few questions to ask youself as you read The Word:
1. What does this passage say or tell me about God?
2.What does it tell me about the Holy Spirit, our prayer partner?
3. What does it say about avoiding sin?
4. What about our attitude towared people?
5. What about His promises to us?
We could go on , but the Bible will speak to us if we take the time to listen.
Find something "special" in The Word that you can carry with you throughout the day. Share with someone what you found in the Word.
Just read the Bible!! The children's song says:
Get the bible reading habit
And just keep right at it.
Until you read the Bible through, clear through.

1 comment:

GraceFromHim said...

Oh bless you sweetie, I know what that is like to have back pain. I also have the sciatic nerve pain. There are days where it is really painful and then days I can function well. I have been swimming which seems to be helping.

Great post BTW
Have a GREAT rest of the weekend!
Hugs,
Brandie