Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day Poem

I found this poem in the old scrape book and thought it was appropriate!
It came out in the Indianapolis News - way back when.
The Service Flag
Dear little flag in the window there;
Hung with a tear and a woman's prayer;
Child of Old Glory born with a star-
Oh, what a wonderful flag you are.
Blue is your star in it's fields of white,
Dipped in the red that was born of fight;
Born to the blood that our forbears shed.
To raise your mother, The Flag, o'er head.
And now you've come, in this frenzied day;
To speak from a window - to speak and say,
"I am the voice of a soilder son,
Gone to be gone till the victory's won.
I am the flag of the Service, son;
The flag of his mother, I speak for her
Who stands by my window and waits and fears,
But hides from the other her unwept tears.
I am the Flag of the wives who wait,
For the safe return of a martial mate,
A mate gone forth where the war gods thrives
To save from sacrifice other men's wives.
I am the Flag of the sweethearts true;
The often unthought of - the sisters, too.
I am the flag of a mother's son
And won't come down 'till the victory's won.
Dear little flag in the window there,
Hung with a tear and a woman's prayer;
Child of Old Glory, born with a star
Oh, what a wonderful flag you are.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

That is so touching! Thanks for posting it. Praying for all our veterans and those serving our country.
Hugs.

Dori Overman said...

Happy Anniversary!